Re: [CQ-Contest] Wireless devices, radios and logging programs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wireless devices, radios and logging programs
From: "doug smith" <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:16:48 -0600
On 12/4/07, Robert Shohet <kq2m@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I would like to switch to
> wireless keyboards and wireless mice, but am wondering whether
> or not this will work.  How does computer A with wireless mouse
> A, not get confused with computer B and wireless mouse B,
> or computer C / Mouse C, especially if they are all the same
> model made by the same manufacturer?

We tried this with Logitech wireless keyboards/mice at work a few years ago.

DON'T TRY IT, YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!

Each keyboard/mouse handshakes with a base station (the unit connected
to a PC) when the PC is booted.  If you only have one wireless
keyboard, there's only one base station for the wireless keyboard to
handshake with.  If there's more than one, it is pretty much
impossible to predict which base station which keyboard will handshake
with.  After a power failure/reboot, the arrangement may (probably
will) change.

After ripping half my hair out (luckily I have plenty to spare) I
started gradually replacing the wireless keyboards with regular ones.
Apparently whoever decided the keyboard cables were too ugly for
television (I work for a TV station and these keyboards were in the
studio) didn't notice.  The fact the meteorologists stopped
complaining about their mice not working certainly helped the
situation.

If you aren't certain how the units will handshake, don't buy them.
You'll save a lot of grief.

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66