Re: [CQ-Contest] Microsoft Virtual PC - multiple operating systems

To: "'doug smith'" <dougw9wi@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Microsoft Virtual PC - multiple operating systems
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:28:20 -0500
> - It was a bit difficult to set up.

> - In my case, the PC has adequate traditional parallel and serial

> ports.  If you're having to use USB serial/parallel ports or multiport

> cards that don't have DOS drivers, multibooting to DOS/Win98 isn't

> going to give you access to those ports.

I agree that virtual systems are resource hogs. I can remember running WIN98
as a task under under NT.  Interesting scenario, but SLOOOOW.

In my case, I simply put in an additional disk drive with full WIN98/Ham
software installed from an older system.  When I want to use it, I simply
change the boot disk priority in the BIOS.  I've used Windows boot select,
System Commander, and others, and as you said, some programs just don't
behave themselves thinking the system disk is always C:/.  The BIOS is a
simple and easy answer.

I run Vista Ultimate, but have disks installed for WIN98, and XP.

Works for me.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:29 AM