Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 06:59:55 -0800
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 06:18:13PM -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Rather than run roughshod over the DXCC program, the CQWW committee
> (and other concerned contest sponsors) should have been actively
> engaged in a public discussion of "how to detect cheaters?"

If you examine the archives for this reflector, you'll find that that
discussion has been going on here, with the occasional lull, for about
11 years now.  Public logs is one solution to the problem for which many
in the contest community have expressed support.  Perhaps you've arrived
at this discussion just recently?

>                                                              As
> Tono showed here, there are analytical and statistical tools that
> can easily detect abnormal behavior/results that would indicate
> potential cheating.  These tools do not require that logs be made
> public.

It's not an either/or propsition.  We can have both public logs _and_
sophisticated log analysis.  Tono's excel tool is a perfect example
of how public logs and log analysis complement one another in real life.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com