[CQ-Contest] Follow-up on RFI and laptop - problem solved

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Follow-up on RFI and laptop - problem solved
From: Barry <w2up3@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:41:03 +0000
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Problem is solved now and here's what I
did:

1. Grounded the laptop to the station bus ground - I've always had
grounded my desktops, but it was easy, attaching the braid to one of the
case screws.  It required a little thought where to ground the laptop.
I wound up using one of the 2 screw connections on the external monitor
jack.
This alone let me go from 200W to about 1 KW before the CW acted back up.

2. Ferrites on the USB serial cable - no noticeable effect.

3.  0.01 bypass caps on all the inputs and outputs of my interface box,
This is a homebrew box for CW, RTTY and voice keying.  It uses 4N33
optos for switching and as I never had an RF problem before, I never
bothered with the bypass caps.  That did the trick.  Full power out, no
more problem.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Barry W2UP

--

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA