Re: [CQ-Contest] Power consumptioin question for Alpha amps

To: "CQ contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Power consumptioin question for Alpha amps
From: "Chris Tran GM3WOJ" <zl1ct@gm7v.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:05:02 -0000
Hi Tony et al

>I have found  a 5000 watt I have found  a 5000 watt Voltage Converter
>Stabilizer

Maybe you could describe what type of 'Voltage Converter Stabilizer' this is
Tony - in the early days these often were a type of saturated transformer,
but I'm guessing it's likely to be some sort of more modern electronic
stabiliser ?

5000W sounds a lot, but I would try to test the unit if possible before
purchasing - take a 3kW fan heater and an analogue testmeter - pulse the 3kW
load and see how good the regulation of this unit is. If possible look at
the output waveform on an oscilloscope - it will probably not be a very good
sine wave.

2 x Alpha amps need a lot of peak available current - you may end up with no
better regulation and $$ out of pocket !

73
Chris   GM3WOJ/ZL1CT
www.qsl.net/gm3woj