[CQ-Contest] MO2R?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] MO2R?
From: Scott Robbins <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:52:52 -0800 (PST)
>Tom, this is a really GREAT synopsis of SO2R now how about MO2R? The same
>thing as SO2R but with multiple ops. Some contests state multi-op, but only
>1 transmitter on the air at a time - thus MO2R. I have never seen a thread
>on this, but MO2R IS happening.
>It will be interesting to see the resulting thread of this query.

>Paul K2DB

It's merely adapting M/M technology to a M/S effort.  We ran "MO2R" (I guess
you could call it that) for years at W4PA/K4JNY for M/S on the run band.  Two
interlocked rigs with a commutator device I built that would allow the PTT
signal from opposite radios to control what happens on the other rig,
inhibiting TX.

Run station, rig #1 would be on 20 meters with the main monobander stack and
the amplifier.  Rig #2 also on 20 meters, interlocked to the main monobander
stack and the amplifier through the commutator but using separate RX antennas
(we had a tribander fixed EU, a full wave 80m loop and Beverages for this
purpose).

When rig #2 pressed the PTT button on the mic, rig #1 was automatically shut
off from TX and the monobander stack and amplifier transferred to radio #2.
Unkey the PTT, rig #1 gets the stack and the amp back, and rig #2 listens for
the reply on the RX antennas.

If rig #2 was transmitting, rig #1 could not transit and steal the amplifier
and the antennas back.  If rig #1 was transmitting, rig #2 could take away the
stack and amp and shut off radio #1 at will.

Man, I miss having a contest station... I loved stuff like this.

Scott W4PA