Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III - Antennas

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III - Antennas
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:24:05 -0700
Lee Buller wrote:
> Wow....
>
> I've learned a lot about SO2R installations over the last week.  Thanks for
> all the emails and responses.  Now, here is another questions.....
>
> Antennas.  I think I have an issue with antennas because of make up of my
> location.  I have a 60 foot tower with a C3E - 80 and 40 meter inverted -V
> dipoles on separate feedlines but at the same height on the tower, a 160
> meter Inverted-L on the tower...and a full size quarter-wave vertical in the
> yard with 32 radials.  I was planning on changing out the vertical for a
> Butternut 6 band model or something similar, but as I was looking at the
> installation the antenna would be very close to both the 160 -80- and 40
> meter antennas....less than 15 feet.  I am on an 80 by 150 foot lot.  (I
> think SO2R is gonna get expensive when I tell the YL we have to move!)  So,
> is it worthwhile to even consider doing SO2R on such a small lot because of
> the proximity of the antennas.  This is a considerable investment....minus
> the new farmstead.

I'm sure you already know that from Kansas, you're not going to be very
effective in a DX contest if your second radio antenna is a Butternut vertical.

However, for domestic contests, such as NAQP and SS, a vertical will be very
effective for doing S&P work. I would locate the vertical as far away from the
tower as possible. You'll get some benefit from cross-polarization isolation
with the vertical vis-a-vis the horizontal antennas. However, I wouldn't write
off the idea of using the 80 or 40 dipole at the same time as the C3S, even at
1500 watts. It's all a matter of filtering. You're on the right track with
bandpass filters and coax stubs.

73,
Steve, N2IC