Re: [CQ-Contest] self spotting

To: "'CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] self spotting
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:09:55 +0000
To see some of what is possible for tracing self spots go back to my
spotting reports after cqww cw and ssb last fall in the cq-contest archives.
Usually if someone is spotting themselves with fake calls there is a pretty
obvious pattern to them, and if the spots come from dxsummit or a node that
keeps logs of ip's they can be traced back to the country, usually the city
in the u.s., and sometimes closer, but usually not.  But a series of calls
that don't exist, or multiple calls spotting the same station from an ip
address in a different country, or a whole bunch of other circumstances make
it pretty obvious what is going on.  I didn't grab dxsummit data during the
160m contest, but I could still do a basic analysis if there were specific
instances that looked funny.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net