Re: [CQ-Contest] HF Transceiver Carry-On

To: "'cq-contest reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] HF Transceiver Carry-On
From: "Robert Brandon" <rb@austin.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:53:40 -0600
I carried a TS-850 "naked" to ZF last fall.  The only hassle I got was from
the first boarding pass checker in the security line who was concerned that
it might be heavier than the airline would allow.  I went back to the ticket
counter, got an "approved carry-on" tag and went right back through.

I also went through with a Yaesu FL-2100 amp last year in a carry-on bag.
No questions.

I think weight is the most important issue.  Some airlines now specify
weight for carry-ons, but I don't think they're as methodical about checking
weight for those items as they are with checked bags -- at least they're not
for jet service.  On an inter-island ZF prop plane, (and also in HC8) they
were very interested in the weight of my carry-on.

It's probably a good idea to have the manual with you.

Robert K5PI