Re: [CQ-Contest] To Skim Or Not To Skim...

To: "'Eric Hilding'" <b38@hilding.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] To Skim Or Not To Skim...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:50:12 -0500
Rick,

> Contest Sponsors collectively negotiate with Skimmer
> author(s) and contest logging software authors to incorporate
> proprietary code which disables Skimmer functionality UNLESS
> both the Skimmer & logging software are connected/interfaced
> realtime to a computer hosted by the sponsor.

If you believe Skimmer is assistance in the same category as
packet/spotting and feel it must be banned, it would be far
better/easier/less "big brother" is for contest logging software
to 1) include code that prevents use of the Telnet or packet
features unless the entry is SOA or multi-op and 2) to not add
code to accept data from skimmer software.

That will not prevent someone from using skimmer on another
computer and more than current conditions prevent a determined
cheater from using packet now but it will make it more difficult
by reducing the automatic inclusion of skimmer spots in the
band map.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV