Re: [CQ-Contest] Compact rigs for contesting and portable operation?

To: "'Kristinn Andersen'" <kristinn1@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Compact rigs for contesting and portable operation?
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:20:59 -0500
> FT857 - Reasonable current efficiency, small size.  Usable for contesting
> (RX performance, menus,...)?
> IC706 - Tried and proven.  Getting outdated?

I can comment on these two since I have both. I will add another very good
compact radio, the Kenwood TS-50.  I have all three.  The Kenwood is an
older model and available in the used market for a bargain price, but it is
a very well built radio.  More ruggedly built than either the Yaesu or the
Icom.  I very much like the FT-857D,  very small size, many functions
including VHF, and works very well with the ATAS-120 antenna system.   But
if rugged is what you need, then the aluminum framed TS-50 is the winner.
Very good receiver and available for a fraction of the kilobuck new cost.
You might even find a AT-50 automatic antenna tuner.  I have one and it
works well.

All of these are good choices.  The IC-7000 is really great but a bit
expensive.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, Florida
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:28 PM