Re: [CQ-Contest] Broken hardware or lazy ops?

To: "Matt Clauson N0QXW" <n0qxw@n0qxw.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Broken hardware or lazy ops?
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:30:54 -0600
Matt,

The slightest pop of noise, a static crash, or a selective fade can quickly
change your callsign on RTTY. Your initial instinct to not give a report
until the station comes back with your correct call is what I do. In the
past I  found some fellows were oblivious they logged the wrong call once I
give them my report, so I don't do that anymore.

Your callsign is rather distinct and as you invest more time into contesting
it will become more recognizable to the other contesters. For example, if I
see AU on my screen, I already know it's probably AA5AU I am  hearing.
Likewise with other "callsign snippets". After seeing these callsigns year
after year they become familiar and you will anticipate the full call. This
is one advantage of holding your callsign for 30+ years.

On the other hand, some calls can be a slight disadvantage. For example,
KØRF in Colorado is a well-known contester. When conditions are marginal, I
see many fellows "guess" it is Chuck calling them instead of me. So I have a
lot of first-hand experience with trying to correct my callsign during a
contest.

There's a certain amount of time I will devote to trying to get my callsign
correct. But sometimes you just need to let it go after a few attempts and
let the chips fall where they may. In this case, if I happen to hear the
station later, I'll try to work them again. Of course you run the risk of
getting the other dreaded response, QSO B4!  Sometimes you can never win!

It has been suggested to create a separate macro that contains something to
the effect "YOU HAVE MY CALLSIGN WRONG! DE NØQXW NØQXW QSL?". And I actually
saw this used by a station this weekend (maybe it was you?).

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN
http://k0rc.spaces.live.com