[CQ-Contest] Exchange Inconsistencies & Integrity

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Exchange Inconsistencies & Integrity
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:24:29 -0800
(RE-Threaded from ARRL DX SSB Exchange - applies to both CW & SSB)

I had written:

>>Unlike the K, KW, KILO,  <http://et.al/> et.al. INconsistencies, CA is the
only acceptable
>>option or I'd almost be willing to bet $$$ that the robot would nuke the Q
>>if they tried CF, CFNA, etc.

Al, KE1FO, replied:

>This flawed logic blows a big hole in your argument.  Nowhere do the rules
state that the only acceptable abbreviation for California is CA.  It only
says that US/VE stations send their >state and DX stations send their power:

Quite the contrary.  The ARRL implied precedent for a State identifier is:
' (Use the two-letter postal abbreviation.) ' as indicated at:
http://www.arrl.org/locate/locate.html .

The two contest logging software programs I have generate an Error message
for anything other than CA (or Ca) being entered for California:

1.    WriteLog indicates an invalid mult name if CF, CFNA, etc. -  CA must
be used.

2.    TR4W will not allow completion of an entry for CF, CFNA, etc. -  CA
must be used.

Further, the multiplier dialog boxes for WriteLog and TR4W clearly show CA
(WL) or Ca (TR4W) as the STANDARD multiplier designations for California.

>The Power rule (4.2) for DX stations, is actually much clearer, saying that
that portion of the exchange is to be a "number indicating approximate
transmitter output power".  Last time I >checked, K was not a number.  My
logic says that logging any of the things you received as anything other
than 1000 would be nuked.

Since when is 1,000 an "approximate transmitter output power" for 1,500
watts?  The current rules promote violations and lack of Integrity.

Using W0RAA's or K6iii's suggestions or a simple schema like the following
(and a simple tweak by logging software authors similar to the way mults are
handled) wraps things up quite nicely:

H = High Power (greater than 150 watts but not to exceed 1500 watts)

L =  Lower Power (greater than 5 watts but less than 150 watts)

Q = QRP (5 watts or less)

If anything other than H, L or Q are entered into the power exchange field,
the QSO can not be logged.

H, L & Q also conform to the rules categories and can minimize exchange
errors.  What could be simpler than this?

KISS-KISS-KISS.

73.

Rick, K6VVA