Re: [CQ-Contest] Dead horse

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dead horse
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 16:56:00 +0000
Not so fast there... continental and then morse codes have been copied by
machine since the very beginning.  It was only later as they speeded up that
they diverged with 'high speed' baudot code that was not amenable to copy by
ear splitting with the slower Morse code that was designed to be more easily
copied by ear... but the original mechanism was to scribe marks in a strip
of paper showing the characters that were then transcribed to text... for a
good example look at:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f1/The_First_Telegraph.jpg
where you can see the transmitted dots and dashes up the middle of the strip
with the text transcription at the bottom.  More info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegraphy#Electrical_telegraphs

So don't go separating Morse and Baudot as if they were completely different
things.  Morse, or the continental code, were just slow speed predecessors
of Baudot, ASCII, and other modern character digital coding schemes.  So it
only makes sense to copy Morse code by computer as a natural extension and
improvement on the early mechanical transcription methods.

Voice modes were of course meant to be copied by ear, though that was not
our doing... copying voice by machine is now possible, though still a
developing science.  I expect it won't be long before an ssb skimmer comes
out, though I suspect that a significantly more powerful computer will be
needed to run it.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net