Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer ultimate setup?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer ultimate setup?
From: rt_clay@bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:13:52 +0000
There is one big disadvantage to using Skimmer in "Softrock-IF" mode: you get a
lot less bandwidth even with a high sample rate sound card. In this sense just
a simple Softrock is a better choice.

In  Skimmer Softrock-IF mode, the width of the spectrum is set by the frequency
difference between the IF and the Softrock
LO, and you lose more than half of the spectrum from the Softrock. In my case
(radio is a K2, IF 4915, Softrock LO 4898), I only get about 17 KHz whether I
sample at 48 KHz or 96 KHz. It would help some to be able to easily move the
Softrock LO.

Tor
N4OGW