[CQ-Contest] Late to the skimmer party

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Late to the skimmer party
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:48:41 -0700
Hi all-

Just got back from a two week vacation, so am late to the skimmer
party.  Lots of interesting comments - good to see the discussion.

Just think back about 20 years ago where the internet didn't really
exist yet...  this discussion would take a lot longer to work out.

I think the crux of this issue has a lot to do with how we all "feel"
about it.  Obviously, for some, this "feels" like assistance - much
like packet - and for others, it is just an extension of the constant
march of technology.

I guess one of the basic questions is "When is it too much technology?"
By that - I mean - when is radio turned into something that is about
as much "fun" as picking up your phone to talk to someone?

That is a question we are all going to have slightly different answers
to.  Some of us will want to protect the way we "think" about operating
contests - and others will see this as an advancement in the state of
the art.

It is going to be an emotional debate - and as in the case of packet
assistance - there will not be one answer that solves all of the issues.

So - for this contester - I do "feel" that skimmers "go too far" for the
"traditional" single-op.  I believe this technology has the potential to
dramatically change how contests are won - and I do not see adding it to
the equation is how I want to win contests.

The main contest I think about when I say that is the SS CW contest.
There are a lot of operators who have learned how to tune a second
radio on their own to find new QSOs during the second half of the
contest.  I believe this "human" effort is a great aspect to the
contest - where hours of tedious "work" are rewarded by putting another
10 or 20 QSOs in the log.  This "effort" is what helps determine who
will make the top ten - or not.

I have finished 11th in the past two SS CW contests.  I am still driven
to try and get back into the top ten box from home - not an easy thing
to always do.  I do feel that if I had put in more hard work, I might
have found that VO1 that has eluded me both times - and made it into
the box.  This motivates me to get on next time and see if I have better
luck - and to improve my second radio skills and effort.

I have very little doubt that the skimmer technology probably would have
made the difference in both of these cases.  However, "for me" - that
would end up feeling just like I used packet and it wasn't my set of
ears that found the station through my own efforts.

I believe that contesting is interesting because of the human element we
bring into it.  Things like computer logging and sending CW to diminsh
this some - but for many of us - that means we are now free to spend
more of out time using our ears.  The skimmer goes to far - as it enables
us to start winning contests by doing something that significantly reduces
the effort our ears put into it.

"For me" - the magic of radio happens between the headphones.  This is
too much like using a digital mode for EME.  It removes the human too
far from the magic and is therefore not as much fun...  for me.

If using the skimmer becomes a "requirement" for me to make the top ten
box in the SS CW contest - I will have a choice to make.  I hope that I
won't have to.

73 Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net