Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmers and Rules

To: "Marijan Miletic" <s56a@bit.si>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmers and Rules
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:05:35 -0500
This is interesting. I was playing catch up, reading through the messages
queued since last night.

I was about to suggest a new contest be created to test and exploit the CW
Skimmer technology. It would be an opportunity to push the technology ahead
faster. I'm thinking along the lines of the "Robot Wars" carried out by
Engineering students. For those not familiar with these events, here are a
few links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_combat  But notice there is "Prohibited
weaponry" identifying things outside the spirit of competition or for safety
reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Wars

My contest idea would be a 4-hour event. The participants could operate in a
25 KHz chunk of the CW bands, "the ring". There would be an Unlimited class.
Entrants of this class would need fully automated stations. No human
operator would be allowed other than to start the Skimmer technology and
shut it down at the end. Skimmers could work other Skimmers or humans. Let
the best Skimmer claim the top prize. Sorry, no plaques for the Unlimited
class, but maybe a nice certificate in machine readable format?

When you begin to think about this, a lot of "what if's" quickly surface.
What if the computer hangs? What if the rotor sticks? What if the SWR goes
nuts? What if a signal fades? What if there is intentional QRM? What if a
fuse blows?

These "what if's" quickly reveal all the skills beyond copying CW in your
head that are required to be a successful contester. A Skimmer presenting
you with a list of callsigns and frequencies doesn't automatically put you
into the Top Ten box. I am undecided whether this technology will shuffle
the ranking, although I believe the possibility exists.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN