[CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer and SDR-IQ - progress report

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer and SDR-IQ - progress report
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:33:03 -0400
Yesterday, I received an SDR-IQ software defined receiver on loan from
RFSpace (www.rfspace.com).  It covers 500 Hz-30 MHz, all modes, and is
about the size of 2 decks of cards side by side.  The only connections
required are antenna and a USB cable - it gets its power from the host
computer.  Very neat.

PY1NB's reverse beacon server is up and running at
http://skimmer.dxwatch.com for those who want a quick and easy look at the
stations being heard here, with no need to set up telnet.  For the next few
mornings I will be monitoring the opening from Europe and then moving the
SDR-IQ to 15 meters to see whether it opens, simulating how a contester
might use this capability.  Take a look!

Our biggest need right now is for additional stations running wideband
receivers and CW Skimmer to contribute data to the hub server.  PY1NB has
written a little helper application (working title, "the aggregator") that
runs alongside CW Skimmer and translates its telnet output into web
services format for transmission to the server.  It (currently) requires
that you set up Skimmer to telnet on port 7300, but then it handles
communication with the server transparently, with no need tor you to fiddle
with firewall settings, etc.  You can download the aggregator
at:  http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/downloads/skimmer_aggregator.zip.  If you
are using the telnet output to feed your logging program, no problem - the
aggregator coexists happily in that situation.

73, Pete N4ZR