Re: [CQ-Contest] Sunspots

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sunspots
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:43:47 -0700
And then back to zero. It is far better than that. The sunspot that
was identified was located at 24 degrees latitude, with a reversed
polarity, meaning it was a cycle 24 spot! Progress.

Remember, the SSN is given in groups - The tens digit means there was
one group, while the ones digit is the count of spots within that
group. So even if there is just one identifiable spot, it will have
an SSN of 11. Apparently NOAA was able to pick out two individual
spots within that one group before it disappeared.

There is lots more information around, look at spaceweather.com for
more info. There is a pretty good site tracking the new cycle's
progress. It is:
solarcycle24.com.

On Apr 15, 2008, at 9:52 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
> I just got these numbers from the NOAA website.  Does it mean that
> we went
> from 0 sunspots to 12 in 2 days?  If so, WOW!  73
> Tom W7WHY
>

> "NOAA (American) Sunspot Number
> This number is reported daily around 0225Z and reports
> the number of sunspots observed in the previous 24 hour period
>
>        The NOAA Sunspot number for 15-Apr-2008 was:   12
>

>        Most recent five days (oldest first):  0  0  0  0  11"

- Jack Brindle, W6FB