Re: [CQ-Contest] Attn: Old time M/M ops

To: <kr2q@optimum.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Attn: Old time M/M ops
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:24:30 -0400
Doug,

Some of these were active much earlier than 1961.  I have not looked at my
logs or QST/CQ but they may go back to the mid 1950's.  After coming on the
air with my General in 1958 I worked all or most of them.  Just listening to
them was an education for a new contester!

K6EVR is still K6EVR

K2UFT lives in the Atlanta area an is still active.  He was one of the SEDXC
operators at 4U1UN multi in 1993 that won the CW world plaque in the CQ WW
160.  Recently he has been on the crew at NQ4I.

W6YMD was featured in the back of the old W6SAI Handbook.  He ran a strong
West coast multi in the late 1950's.  He was a W7 later.  He was featured in
CQ using a helicopter to mount his big 20 meter beam in the 1980's.  Now a
SK.

W4BVV details should be available from PVRC.  I have a card from him pre his
big stations days.  Now a SK. His niece now has his call.

W3WJD is now N3RS

W6BXL was one of the hams that got a pink ticket from the FCC for Superpower
in the 1958 CQ WW.
He was an operator at W6YMD and K6EVR.

W6VSS became K6UA and a real nice guy.  Dale did get caught for superpower
by the FCC.  Just became a SK.  Know for big antennas especially quads on 40
and 80.

W3MSK was later W3AU.  Now a SK and W3ZKH was selling some of his estate.

K2GL  was the big MM from the late 50's to the mid 1960's.  Buzz's estate
donated most of his gear to GA Tech.  Operators that I know are now SK
include Dave, K2GM and W2SKE.  W2SKE wrote an article in Sports Illustrated
in late 1958 that is on the web.

W7RM was formerly W4ESK and W7ESK.  Long before he went Multi he was a top
Single op. from Both VA and WA.

I recall Roger, W6RW calling me on the phone after a stint on 15 meters
where I was working JA's over the west coast.  I was using my new homebrew 4
el quad designed by W5HVV/7 right out of a 1966 QST.  I reminded him that I
was located in MS and a rare state for the mostly new 20 watt JA's.

Finally K4BVD is a GA native and is now W6OAT.

Please do put your results up on the web with new calls for those who are
still with us.  Have fun with the report.

73 Dave K4JRB  K5MDX until 1973