Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer musings

To: Guy Molinari <guy_molinari@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer musings
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:31:50 -0700
Guy;

I'm definitely not anti-SO2R, just as I'm not anti-Skimmer. Just
trying to find some common ground among all the arguments.

Having listened to some SO2R CDs, I very much appreciate the skills
that are needed for SO2R operation. I wish I had them! They are
enabled by some technology that was very much controversial not that
long ago.

Skimmer has some very good as well as some questionable attributes
that we need to understand better. We went through all this with
keyboard keyers many years ago (there were those even more adamantly
opposed to them!), and several more technologies along the way.
Realizing that, the real challenge is in finding room for new
technologies to mature into what is really needed instead of what we
fear they might be. Some form of the Skimmer technology will find its
place in contesting some day (probably soon), although probably not in
the form we see it now, and probably not filling our bandmaps in the
way that has been discussed. I expect that it, like keyers, computer
logging and other technology, will be used in some more subtle way to
help _us_ operate our contest stations more effectively, rather than
taking over from us.

My bet at the moment is in the area of propagation study and
reporting. Possibilities also exist in post-contest training, such as
finding out who you _could_ have worked in addition to who you did,
and maybe even tell us what to practice to be able to achieve those
missing QSOs next time. There are lots of possibilities.

As for SO2R, I'd love to have a station to support it so that I, too,
can develop the skills. Maybe someday...

-Jack Brindle, W6FB