Re: [CQ-Contest] Software for Multiple Contests

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <Jimk8mr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Software for Multiple Contests
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 17:24:28 -0500
Jim, et. al.,

That's an interesting approach, especially for the examples you cited.

On the other hand, it doesn't eliminate the problem I was trying to address.
That is where there is more than one QSO Party going on and you get an
exchange like "5NN BAY". You can guess that would be Bay County, but what
state? After you figured it out, you would have to enter the appropriate
information into the CONTEST field. And when the very next station gives you
"5NN BAY", you'd have to ask again.

Someone suggested they like the variety of exchanges. Fine. First, I am
suggesting the QSO Parties be viewed as a CLASS of contest, similar to
Sweepstakes, ARRL DX, and CQWW DX.

Second, I am only suggesting a change to using a standardized ST+CNTY
designator on both ends of the QSO. Score it anyway you want. Have serial
numbers if you want. Give extra points for "Bonus Stations" if you want.
That's all irrelevant to the "Location" issue.

Take this example of a typical QSO Party format. This is where the In-State
station sends their county abbreviation and the Out-State station sends
their state. I am an in-state fixed station. I work 500 contacts and log 75
"CA's", 89 "TX's", and 64 "NY's".

First, I would like to know what counties I have worked. I might be
interested in pursuing the County Hunter awards. I will need to use other
resources to know whether I have logged a new county.

Second, if I work someone in another QSO Party, they will give me their
county. That's great, but I will need to ask them for their state. Now I can
figure out what QSO Party they are running. Multiply this scenario by the
number of concurrent (overlapping) events running.

Third, after the dust settles, I need to figure out what to do with my log.
Your suggestion for a CONTEST column would be helpful. But a standardized
exchange of ST+CNTY would eliminate the need for this field in QSO Parties.
I could submit my log to 3 or 4 parties and let their log processing
software cull the contacts valid for their particular event. My log may
contain a number of BAY counties, some which would qualify as a valid QSO
while other Bay's would not.

Here's an extreme example to illustrate the problem. Imagine running three
DX contests over one weekend. One uses RST+CQ Zone, another uses RST+ITU
Zone, and the third uses RST+Age. Anyone can work anyone. That's what we had
on the bands last weekend.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN