Re: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts from a sponsor on one hour log deadlines

To: mjc5@psu.edu, CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts from a sponsor on one hour log deadlines
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:47:01 EDT
Good write up, Mike.  I agree.  A 1 hour submission limit is  ludicrous, IMO!

73, Geo...

George  Wagner, K5KG
941-312-9420
941-400-1960 cell

In a message dated 5/13/2008 3:42:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mjc5@psu.edu writes:

I've been reading some of the posts calling for a one hour  deadline
for log submissions. I don't think it will work very well.  And I have
actual facts to support that opinion.

In way of  personal experience, I added a "logs received" page to our
website  to allow Ops to see if we actually got their submissions.

A fair number  of folks sent in their logs, but we never got them. The
logs were  lost somewhere in the ether. I don't know where, but they
were.  Having that web page allowed people to check.

Important:

1.If a  sponsor does not get an email, they don't know that they
didn't get  it.

2. Perhaps most importantly, email is terribly unreliable. I deal  in
many hundreds of emails a day, and some mail gets lost almost  every
day. Possible culprits are:
misaddressing
Petulant spam filters
unknown  black holes

3. Is everyone's net access always running, 24/7/365.25?  I've got
pretty good cable web, but it goes down from time to time.  It would
be a pity to have all the hard work from a contest be for  naught
because there was a DOS attack going on right after a  contest. Even
more sinister, some miscreant could bring the contest  site's servers
down, and they would know just when to do  it!

4. Transit time - Try an experiment - time some email. It does not  go
at the speed of light. I've had email delays of well over an hour  on
occasion (these were emails sent to me automatically, so I know  when
they were sent.

5. All these things are  correctable, but not if you only have an hour
to correct them. Is it  fair to DQ an Op because his/her internet
connection went down or  they didn't have the right address or one of
a hundred things that  can go wrong?

I would respectfully suggest that the idea of a one hour  time limit
for log submission is Draconian, would eliminate entire  classes
(honest officer, I had a good reason to be going 150 mph - I  had to
get to a wifi hotspot to submit my mobile log before time  runs out!)
First time Ops often have issues with logging programs,  and it takes
them a while t get things ready. I've talked several  through
preparing their logs.

Now, how about the person who  submits their log 60 minutes and 1
second after the contest? Or  sends it right after the contest and
transit time delays it? I'd  give up on contesting if I was at the
mercy of my web  connection.

I'm pretty convinced such a short deadline would  have a deleterious
effect on contesting, and those very few who do  cheat would just find
other ways to cheat.

-73 de Mike  N3LI -

favorites at AOL Food.