Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX SN...has to be a better way!

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX SN...has to be a better way!
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:21:06 -0500

This weekend, in my part-time effort, I was asked for repeats a lot...a
whole lot...more than I can ever recall.  If there was a contest in which I
did NOT feel loud, it was this one.

Anyway, for a while I was just hitting F2 sending the exchange when asked
for a repeat.

Then, I plugged # into F6 and hit only F6 when asked for a repeat.

If I didn't hear him in about a half-second or a second, I hit it again and
kept on until he interrupted me.

I have also found that under very weak signal situations (my sig, of
course), slowing down to 26 wpm seemed to help.  I don't know if there's
magic in that speed or whether it just happened he could hear me on a peak
when I reduced speed or what, but it seemed to work.  I've noticed the same
when calling a station -- a sudden QRS to 26 or 28 seems to make the
difference between him sending the exchange and him sending kg-what?

Of course, I don't envision doing a whole contest at 26wpm.  But, if anyone
wants to try that in order to validate my observations, have at it.

It also ocurred to me that when a station is fishing for the number (he
sends 189?  You send 188.  he sends 187?  You send 188. etc....), maybe
sending that single digit a couple of times might work.  You and he know the
first two digits are right.  Only the third needs fixing.  I never got a
chance to try it.  If I think about it next time (IARU?) I'll give it a try.

73,
Dale, kg5u