Re: [CQ-Contest] Growing New Contesters with LOTW - suddenly it's 1977ag

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Growing New Contesters with LOTW - suddenly it's 1977again
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 21:24:20 -0400
Pete,

I don't understand what you're driving at.

Any contester who is signed up for Logbook of the World can easily submit
their log to both the contest checkers and to LotW.

In fact, my understanding from certain former ARRL staffers who were heavily
involved in LotW is that one of the intentions behind LotW was to do exactly
what you are asking for... using it as a process to provide DXCC (and WAS
and other awards down the road) credit from the log!

I also don't understand your "revenue" comment.  ARRL derives no revenue
from uploaded logs to LotW.  So increasing the use of it, and the uploaded
logs to it -- both of which I would favor and heavily encourage, I might
add -- does not directly add to the revenue.  Yes, the matches between two
logs could be used for awards credit, and there is a small charge when a
credit is applied for, if and when an award using LotW credits is applied
for... but that's an indirect revenue source, and by no means guaranteed.

So what's your point?  That the ARRL use LotW as designed, to provide a
service built into it but so far underutilized (and how)?  Is the problem
the ARRL, or the other organizations?

73