Re: [CQ-Contest] What Skimmer is!

To: Charlotte & Bob Higgins <rwhiggins@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What Skimmer is!
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:52:01 -0500 (CDT)
Actually, it isn't MY idea of fun.  I don't do contesting to win anything,
except perhaps as a QRP-Portable in VHF contests where I often win by
default because no one else in my area entered that category.

I do it for fun. I like to use computer logging but I still just use the
ol' TS-850 and a mic or keyer. No computer-generated CW here. No Super
Check Partials or other aids. I do use the computer as a dupe checker when
I hear and type in the call, but otherwise I just copy what the other guy
sends or says and enter it into the log as I hear it.

But there are others, I know, who are in it to win something and I often
wonder if they are even having fun at it. It's these people who are most
apt to use the scenario I described. I'll stick to my rig, simple logging,
no packet or anything else, and keyer/mic for the duration of my
contesting future. And hopefully continue to have fun at it. If it isn't,
I'll go and do something else too.

73, Zack W9SZ