Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers

To: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:53:43 -0400
On Nov 6, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Hank Greeb wrote:

> One other thing which irks me is folks who insist in sending "T" as
> the
> first character when they were sending a 1 or 2 digit exchange number.
> IF they want to send a zero, which is definitely NOT needed, they're
> not
> interested in maximizing rate, so why not send a zero?

Hank wrote this a while back, but I'll put in an observation from the
recent WPX CW, as well as some other contests.

If I sent a single-digit number, or a two-digit number, specially
later in the contest, I nearly always got a repeat request. People
appear to be expecting a three-digit number. Sending TT or T before
the number appears to reduce the number of repeats.

Once I got to 100 Qs, the repeat problem went away.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901