Re: [CQ-Contest] Playing Chess

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Playing Chess
From: "Randy Thompson" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:55:37 -0000
Things are much easier to control when everyone is playing in the same room
or location.  The chess article Geo provided is interesting because it deals
with a very similar scenario to what we are seeing in radio contesting. If
people can't be seen, how do we know if they are playing honestly or not?
We can only draw conclusions around what we believe or suspect.

In my contesting ethics talk at Contest University, I suggested two points
to keep in mind when considering pushing the envelope.  Would you be ok with
what you are doing if it was made public?  Are you willing to live with the
long term impact on your reputation if there is even an appearance of
misconduct?

k5zd