[CQ-Contest] single-op pornography

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] single-op pornography
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 01:09:43 +0000 (GMT)
Defining "Assisted," especially in terms of Skimmer is somewhat like
pornography -
"I know it when I see it." [Justice Potter Stewart]  In other words,
observation tells much.

Watch a single op and then watch a single-op using DX alerting methods.
What they do and especially how they do it are different.
Then watch a single-op using skimmer.   Which one does skimmer look like more?

By observation alone (someone standing in the shack, looking at what is
happening).....
the "assisted" op seems to have a-priori knowledge of not only where to go
(qrg) but what
call sign to copy (giving the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they copy
the call).  Why?
Because they DO have a-priori knowledge of same.

The single-op is "exploring" (unless passing) while the SOA is taking directed
actions.

Comments?

de Doug KR2Q