[CQ-Contest] Skimmer is not CW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer is not CW
From: "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:45:53 -0400
OK gents, in the ongoing discussion the cause and effect are apparently not
tied together and mostly various effects are only discussed.

Back to basics, i.e to the cause.

1. The amateur telegraphy is the mean of communications employing human CW
decoding.

2. The Skimmer is a new digital mean of communication using the CW codes for
data transfer, but it is not CW, or the amateur radio telegraphy as such,
because it does not employ human CW decoding and employs machine decoding,
instead.

3. The Skimmer technology is around by now. It might be complemented by
other technologies developping the new data transfer principle (altough it
is not a new data transfer protocol as such). Perhaps one day the new
technology (2) will replace the technology (1). Perhaps the technology (2)
will slowly die by itself. But in any case the technologies (1) and (2)
cannot be merged due to totally different decoding principles applied.

I'd virtually cast the (1) in stone. Actually I'd include it into all
possible contest rules.

Let's agree on the above and then we'll take it from that.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---