[CQ-Contest] Querks with IC-756proX radios ?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Querks with IC-756proX radios ?
From: David Burger <dburger@energy.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:06:21 +1000
Just adding to the observations of George K5KG..  I also have a couple of
these radios, and have noticed a very similar effect.  While George's
radio died every few minutes in the heated battle of an IARU event, the
problem I had - which was never resolved was similar...

--> the radio all worked fine but with no TX or RX audio of any
description (the display and all controls still seemed to work OK).... I
powered it on and off, and it also  re-set itself into deaf/dumb mode in
ever quickening cycles from 10 minutes down to about 10 seconds....  This
was in the tropical heat in VK8 with 30 C and 99% humidity in the middle
of a CQWW SSB event..    The radio still works fine even now, so while i
don't have an answer on that.. it is definitely heat related..

This ties in closely with Georges' operation in similarly hot and humid
environmental conditions..  It does seem like heat / humidity is a common
element.

To put this into perspective - it has only happened to me just ONCE in
about 4 years of abusing these neat radios in the tropics & Outback
Australia, and turning the radio off with a big fan on it seemed to get it
working again.  Would I ever change from using these radios - NO.

VK2CZ / VK8AA / 4W3A

David Burger
M. +61 (0)414 328877
dburger@energy.com.au