Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <w4tv@subich.com>, "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:18:05 -0400
Right. I'd forgotten that TQSL strips data required by the contest sponsor.
Pete's proposal would require a TQSL mod, perhaps a special contest mode
that would leave all data intact. A contest-specific ADIF-to-Cabrillo
converter would be required at the contest sponsor end, too. But LoTW
wouldn't have to be expanded to hold larger records. The excess information
could be stripped off after upload and before being stored in the database.
More network bandwidth might be required (unless the sponsor was kind enough
to send the data to ARRL on DVD), but not more storage.

However, I'm not sure it's worth the trip. If the purpose is to use the
contest sponsor's "verification" of the QSO to eliminate busted calls, there
will be problems due to the mismatch between what LoTW accepts for a valid
QSO and what the contest sponsor accepts (as illustrated by my example
below.) If the purpose is to stimulate greater use of LoTW, I doubt it will
be effective. Log subsmission isn't the main barrier to more widespread use
of LoTW. It's the registration process (I should know... :-) I'm hopeful
this will be made easier in the future, without sacrificing security.

73, Dick WC1M