[CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest and Definition of an Island

To: <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] IOTA Contest and Definition of an Island
From: "ku8e" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:01:44 -0400
I was wondering if anyone knows criteria the IOTA Contest uses to determine
what locations are considered islands ? I was just
curious after reading K2SX's posting on 3830. He lives on Pawleys Island, which
is a barrier island near Myrtle Beach, SC.
His island doesn't count as being an island in IOTA even though it's in the
Atlantic Ocean.

I know the island has to be in a saltwater ocean, so an island in a large body
of water like the Great Lakes in the
USA/Canada wouldn't count. It also looks like the rules state the island has to
be 200 meters away from the mainland.
Looking at the IOTA webpage there are many barrier islands on the GA coast (and
other places) that are not counted as an IOTA island.
I have been to Tybee Island (Savannah beach) on vacation and have operated the
IOTA contest on both St Simon's and Jekyll Island (NA-058).
These islands are all separated from the mainland by the InterCoastal Waterway
, which I think is at least 200 meters wide,
but for some reason Tybee Island doesn't count for IOTA. Seems to me an island
is an island if it has the name "island" in it's name.

73's Jeff KU8E