Re: [CQ-Contest] Flex Radio as in the Flex-5000 is it ready for Prime ti

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Flex Radio as in the Flex-5000 is it ready for Prime time Contesting ??? esp SO2R
From: "Steve Lott" <lottsphoto@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:35:05 -0500
Yes I saw the QST review
but a knob next to a keyboard may be handy and what about this data from the
SherWood powerpoint presentation.........

 What dynamic range is possible and needed for CW?
80 dB or better @ 2 kHz.
1976 Sherwood / Drake R-4C: 84 dB
2001 Ten-Tec Omni-VI+: 80 dB
2005 Ten-Tec Orion II: 95 dB
*2007 Flex 5000A: 96 dB *
2007 Ten-Tec Omni-VII: 80 dB
2008 Elecraft K3: 101 dB (with 200 Hz roofing filter)

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com> wrote:

> After reading the review in the NCJ magazine recently...or was it QST?,
> I would say the radio is NOT ready for Prime Time contesting.
> The author who did the review was being kind to the manufacturer
>
> I think most serious contesters would agree that one wants to keep their
> hands on the
> keyboard and not a mouse ! Griffin Audio knobs do have much potential
> though
> as  a good ergonomic and customizable interface of the functions for the
> radio
> we DO want to use out hands for .
>
> But, It does have potential, give it a few years
>
> 73, Dennis N6KI
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Steve Lott <lottsphoto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> any thoughts comments appreciated on this compared to traditional SO2R
>>
>> thanks !
>>
>> 73
>> steve
>> KG5VK