Re: [CQ-Contest] Reflections on comments about open logs

To: "kr2q@optimum.net" <kr2q@optimum.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reflections on comments about open logs
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 01:13:23 -0000
KR2Q:

>      a.   Someone who is not in the top ten has little reason to fear
having their ?secrets? revealed.
>           This is almost an oxymoron.

That's got to be one of the most mean-spirited and bloated-head statements
I've ever seen on this reflector!

Repeating what I said in email to one of the contest sponsors:

I'm a contester of modest skills and a modest station, yet I aspire to "be
somebody" in my own little niche of contesting. That niche is ARRL SS, and
while being in the "Top Ten" is a goal which so far eludes me, over the
past 30 years (actually in the past 15 years) I have snagged several
Division plaques. For one glorious (to me) year, I owned the Division
record in one category.

I believe that strategy played a part in those wins, and that if I continue
to refine strategies and improve my skills I may continue to scratch out a
plaque now and then.  If I'm very persistent, and very good at learning
from my experiences, perhaps .... just perhaps.... I'll grab a spot in a
top-ten box.

I also believe that an intelligent competitor could examine my logs and
glean some of those hard-gained strategies, especially if he had open
access to several years of my logs.

73, de Hans, K0HB
"I make the top-ten possible"