Re: [CQ-Contest] Does anyone prefer virtual contests to real ones?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Does anyone prefer virtual contests to real ones?
From: Bill Feidt <bill@ng3k.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:51:00 -0400
Barry wrote:

> When I started the [WAEDC], I thought to myself, "I can't believe this
> is really 36 WPM, the rate's so slow (only about 140/hr), this is
> boring."  Then I realized, since ARRL CW, I've been playing around with
> Morserunner once or twice a week - set the pileup as many deep as you
> want, set the speed anywhere you want, and away you go with an instant
> 300/hr pileup.

Given my less than modest antenna situation I can only dream of rates
anywhere near this from my home station, but I too have been playing
with Morse Runner a lot recently.  I have to agree with Barry, it's a
terrific pile-up trainer.  I've only run the activity level as high as
4 and the speed at 35 wpm so far, but I'm copying just about 100% at
that level, so perhaps it's time to crank it up a notch or two.

A new ham I'm Elmering into the CW contesting world is also using it
to very good advantage.  It makes for excellent, real-world code practice.

Kudos to Alex, VE3NEA, for creating and distributing such a valuable
piece of software.

73,

Bill/NG3K