Re: [CQ-Contest] Missing Low power in ARRL

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Missing Low power in ARRL
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:02:09 -0700
> A couple of the gang pointed out that the ARRL consider all single band
> entries as High Power or actually no power advantage.  I did see a few of
> the entries did have C or B indicating High or low power.
>
> The logging program did have it correct just typing error on my part in
> the
> question.
>
> CATEGORY:  SINGLE-OP 10M LOW
> from an older version of writelog.
>
> In past years the author(s) did comment on stations running low power who
> did well on a single band. No problem as I did place 4th USA in just 3.8
> hours looking for TI50DX.
>
> TI50DX CELEBRATING 50 years of the SEDXC
>
> Dave K4JRB

Dave,

You are quite correct in that past years power was occasionally mentioned in
the writeups for single-band results.  This year, however, the fraction of
single-band logs for which a power was included in the database dropped
substantially.  Possibly logging software is being updated to not a
Category-Power tag if the Category-Band tag is something other than ALL in
this contest.

At any rate, it didn't seem reasonable to make comparisons using the power
level if most entries didn't note it.

73, Ward N0AX
ARRL DX Phone - Lead Author