[CQ-Contest] NS Ladder, Dupes vs. No Dupes Test

To: "Cq Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NS Ladder, Dupes vs. No Dupes Test
From: "Bill Haddon" <haddon.bill@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:12:31 -0700
As the NS Ladder went through it's fifth year, there was a thread of
comments to the effect that our liberal policy of duplicate contacts might
be hurting the smaller stations disproportionately.

So we decided to test that premise by running sequential contests on the
night of July 18th.

The result is interesting, showing, at least by my interpretation, that
there is up to a 20% increase in number of Q's to the smaller stations when
dupes are allowed.  To read about it, please consult the Google Knol  "NS
Ladder - Dupes or No-Dupes?"

http://knol.google.com/k/bill-haddon/ns-ladder-dupes-or-no-dupes/2g8g21lqo61sb/2#

What is a Knol?  Well, it's a "Knowledge Unit", similar to those at
Wikipedia.com but a little less formal.  I chose the Knol format because of
the ease with which one can pop in references and graphs and the fact that
the Knol allows return comments. I hope some of you will do that.   You may
have a different interpretation than mine and to that end, I'll be happy to
supply the contest data to those who wish to play with it.

Note that the Knol has the potential to be an interactive discussion forum
and I encourage you to make use of that, or to email me separately.

73 Bill n6zfo
Contest Director NS Ladder