Re: [CQ-Contest] Lightning strikes N5OT

To: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Lightning strikes N5OT
From: "N7mal" <n7mal@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:10:16 -0000
Mark said:""to massage
your log and go unnoticed, or switch categories just to come in first place
in a category you technically didn't operate, but also technically qualify
to enter...""  and Mark also said ""Yeah.  I'm thinking it didn't happen too
much before 3830 came along - the downside of success I guess.""

This type of post contest log massaging has been going on long long before
the advent of the web based 3830. I have personal first hand knowledge of
several well known contesters who didn't decide the category of their entry
until the contest was over. During the sunspot peaks many guys operated 2
bands i,e, 15/40 or 10/80 etc. After the contest was over they looked at the
previous contest results in CQ or QST and then decided which log to submit
for a certificate and which log to submit as a 'check-log'. My feeling then
and now is SO WHAT. I also have personal first hand knowledge of 4 different
guys who operated from locations other than where they submitted their log
entry. Again my feeling then and now is SO WHAT.
The reason for "SO WHAT" is 2 fold. First they worked the stations they
submitted a log for. Log checking pretty well determines what a guy works. I
guess I'm a 'liberal' because I can never start out assuming the worst
possible scenario because someone did/did not post something correctly on
3830. Secondly I am not my brothers keeper nor am I big brother. In this
world there are far more important things to get upset about.
Contest log massaging has been around a long time and will be here for the
foreseeable future. It is not a by product of web-based 3830.
As I've said before WA7BNM provides us a great service and we need to stop
making 3830  the focal point of this or any other negative discussions.
Again just my -2cents worth.
73

MAL
N7MAL