Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking in CQWW

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking in CQWW
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:35:50 -0400
On Sep 5, 2008, at 6:01 PM, Alfred Frugoli wrote:

> Why not?

Just on this list, we had a log posted, with some interesting
inferences.

Public posting in and of itself is not the problem, it is what some
people do with them.

I had an entrant who at one stage in the contest, the mullts were
lining up for him in such a precise way that I became suspicious. One
county after the other that he didn't already have just popped into
the log. Sections too.

Now I could have just decided that this person was cheating. Maybe I
could have posted it to a list like this one, saying "How is this
possible?".

But I had the other logs, and I took a look through them. Guess what?
The Op was NOT cheating. Just as a poker player can get the occasional
royal flush, or 4 aces, this dude got really lucky. Good for him. Good
for contesting. That will make a good story to tell fellow Ops. Good
thing I didn't blab my suspicions, eh?

> Can I post my own log?

It's your log of course. If you did really well in the contest you
could have it etched in marble! 8^)

> Can I post a link to someone's log instead of the actual log?

I think that making the logs public is a mistake. We are going to have
innocent people accused of cheating. Especially heinous, is that the
better a person does, the more people are going to try to prove them
as cheating. Some times a person is just good.

> I just don't get all the worry about public logs, etc.  Isn't there
> a piece of amateur radio about mentoring, and elmering, and helping
> new folks get into the game?  With all this contesting pressure to
> win and not cheat and to not reveal your secret strategy it's no
> wonder we're an elete club of greying guys!

Who has pressure to win and cheat? The only pressure I see is to get
better. This isn't NASCAR or some competition where there are large
prizes at stake. This is just people and their radios.

Some of us, myself included, are perhaps a little old fashioned. I
still do deals on a handshake. I still expect my Ham radio peers to be
ladies and gentlemen until proven otherwise.

That doesn't mean that I am a wimp. My penalties for cheating are
simple. Buh-bye, yer outa here.

But so many of these proposed strategies are like a person being
assumed guilty from the get-go, and others disqualify a lot of Ops who
have no crime other than operating in a fashion that isn't compatible
(mobiles, remote sites, rovers)

I guess it boils down to killing the hobby by being too trusting, or
killing it by strangulation, making it so oppressive that to
participate, a person has to jump through so many hoops that they just
decide to do something else that weekend.

I still say to people who want to expose corruption and whatever other
evils there are in Amateur radio contesting to use their energies to
help contesting. If sponsors had more people helping them, the results
would be done more quickly, more accurately, and cheaters would be
found and eliminated more easily.

I know it is a lot easier to complain than to do something about it, a
whole world of difference between castigation and correction.

-73 de Mike N3LI -