Re: [CQ-Contest] New ARRL Benefit and a Contesting Challenge

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New ARRL Benefit and a Contesting Challenge
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 9:30:35 -0400
Gotta agree with Ken, the resolution is pretty bad until you get into the mid
1990s.  Some pages are skewed; some just scanned poorly.

One thing that I've been looking at is the activity of contests over time, and
their popularity.  One striking example seems to be Sweepstakes which has seen
a significant reduction in points scored over time.

I know that its basically impossible to compare one year to another given that
band conditions can change from minute to minute, but the Sweeps scoring has
definately slackened.  On SSB, (excluding WP3R naturally), scores are down
about 10% with QSOs counts down.  Multipliers are up by 2 or 3  from the mid
1990s owing to new sections.  The addition of 3 multipliers to a 2000 QSO score
adds 12,000 points to the score over a 2000 QSO score from 1995.  So, if you
deducted teh 12,000 points, scores are down probably more on the order of 15%.
I haven't looked at CW, but it will be interesting to assess scores in light of
the ageing of the amateur population, the drop in CW requirements, and
refinement of SO2R.

73 Rich NN3W