[CQ-Contest] CTY.DAT updated with USA callsign exceptions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CTY.DAT updated with USA callsign exceptions
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:23:58 -0700 (PDT)
I just uploaded a test version of CTY.DAT:

    http://www.country-files.com/cty/cty.dat

This version has a new set of USA callsign exceptions.  Here's how they are
determined:

- start with the super check partial (master callsign) database from K5ZD

- look up each call in FCC database to determine the address (state)

- determine which calls do not fall into default CQ zone.
  This could be a KH6 in Oregon or a WB4 in Kentucky

- write the most popular calls to CTY.DAT (file has 419 such calls)

- all calls with prefixes like KH, KL and KP which are stateside
  are added to the file.

The main problem is that the FCC database contains mailing addresses.  There
are calls like WP2Z which has a stateside mailing address, but is only ever
used from US Virgin Islands.  I have a small list of these special calls, but
I'm not sure if there are others that I'm missing.

Please look over the CTY.DAT file if you are concerned that your call is listed
and it shouldn't be (let me know off-reflector).  The format of each entry is:

    CALL(<CQ zone>,<ITU zone>)  (ignore the minus signs)

Here are the "special" callsign exceptions:

AL4T is in NC
AL7QQ is in IA
K3EST is not an exception call (California)
KH6DX is in CA
KH7WW is in AZ
KL1SE is in KY
KL7OO is in WA
KL7WP is in OR
KP2F is in OH
KP3M is in PA
KP4US is not an exception call (Indiana)
NH0Y is in CA
NH6CN is in MI
NL7FK is in OH
NP2CB is in FL
NP3D is in NY
NP4H is not an exception call (New Jersey)
W6PH is not an exception call (New Hampshire)
WP2Z is not an exception call (New Jersey)
WP4AQK is in FL
WP4JBG is in MS

Thanks & 73 -  Jim AD1C

 --