[CQ-Contest] More pot to stir for the WW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] More pot to stir for the WW
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:23:11 -0800
Kerr, Prof. K.M. wrote:

>> Tactics.......I am still unsure what the best thing to do on 40 and 80 when
>> trying to work the USA; simplex, duplex? Below 7.1 or above 7.125 for
>> transmit? How do you guys see this from the 'other side'?

-- snip--

> On 80, I would say that you should stay above 3700. My 2 element wire
> beam is too narrow-banded to work outside of 3700-3825.

>73,
>Steve, N2IC

I agree with Steve but my hope is since the band has been expanded
to allow SSB down to 3600, USA ops will start to move down. The
reason is this allows one antenna length to cover both CW and SSB
without the extra effort to broadband or compromise the system.

I moved my 4 sqr for the best dump power from 3775 to 3600 and
now run full power on both CW and SSB. I still have to be up near
3700 or even higher to get spotted but I drift down towards 3650
if I can get the spots to follow.

Sooner or later contesting will shift down and time is on my side. It
may take a generation.

73 Rich KL7RA