[CQ-Contest] ARRL SS CW - VY1EI

To: CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL SS CW - VY1EI
From: "Eric Irvine" <vy1ei@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:52:34 -0700
Hello fellow sweepstakes contesters. This will be my second sweepstakes.
VY1JA will be operating to the far north of my QTH on 100 watts. I'll be
running from Whitehorse Yukon with a Yagi and a dipole. I'll be running on
800 watts on 20 meters and 40 meters. 100 watts on 80 meters and 15 meters.

Our best opportunity for a QSO will be on 20 meters. I plan to run split but
I will QSY if the pileup gets too big. I'll be running till closing time, my
off times will likely be from 0600z to 1200z.

This is an intense contest and I don't have alot of experience in managing
CW pileups. I'll do my best to manage the pileup but contesters need to be
patient. I won't get ticked off. If folks aren't patient during pileups,
I'll simply have to search and pounce and we'll all get fewer QSOs.

Propagation always plays a role with getting your NT contact. Hopefully the
aurora is low. I've passed on the link to my favorite propagation page. If
the aurora donut is above southern Yukon, you won't hear me. The aurora does
shift quite a bit and there should be some openings. Hopefully we'll have a
weekend like last weekend when I got 930 QSOs in the CQ WW SSB contest, with
a low aurora, quiet solar conditions, and three hour openings on 15 meters.

Contesting is great fun and I hope to have a QSO with many of you.

Eric
VY1E1
http://www.vy1ei.ca/