Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?

To: <aldewey@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 11:38:09 -0400
I agree with Al completely: QRP stations are much better off sending at
normal speed than at slower speed. As Al says, the odds of a static crash or
fade taking out part of the transmission are reduced that way.

Also, QRPers should *not* send "/QRP". This provides no help to the
receiving operator, and takes up valuable time. It's unnecessary in most, if
not all, contests. As far as I know, it's not required by any legal
jurisdiction and is not required for any awards. I never log the extra
characters. I will say that sometimes it's nice to know that you can work
people running 5W or less who are very far away (i.e., it's a great
indicator of conditions), and it's satisfying when you know you've pulled a
really weak one out of the mud. But I would trade both of these for faster
rate.

Finally, QRPers should not repeat the call or exchange unless asked. You
can't assume that you are weak at the other end. When conditions are good,
QRP stations can register S9 or better here, especially on 10m. This goes
for all stations: the first time you are asked for a fill, just respond
once. The other station might have missed only a single letter, and the odds
are good that it'll come through on one transmission. If asked a second
time, you should repeat twice. After that, it's clear that the other station
is having trouble copying and you can send the fill two or three times.

73, Dick WC1M