[CQ-Contest] CW Practice

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Practice
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 23:23:08 -0700
With N1MM, I've gone entire CW contests without touching a key, and
since I don't ragchew much my sending is getting pretty rusty.  I could
just use the sidetone on the rig to practice sending stuff from a text
file, but I was wondering if there is any CW simulation software like
MorseRunner or RUFZ that requires you to send the other person's call
and your report with a key instead of just typing it on a keyboard.  Has
anyone ever come across anything like that?  I've looked around and
didn't find anything.  It doesn't have to be a pileup simulator
(although that would be nice) ... just something that tracks speed and
accuracy.  I can pick out calls fairly well ... it's my sending that's
gotten poor.

If not, someone should write such a program.  It wouldn't even require a
unique hardware interface to the computer .. the audio from the rig's
sidetone could be fed into the sound card like many people already do
for digital modes or for contest recording.

Or I could just get on the air and make QSOs, I guess  ;)    I hesitate
to just jump back into a contest with a paddle purely for practice,
though ... aside from the probable embarrassment I'd prefer not to tie
up the folks on the other end with my mistakes.

73,
Dave   AB7E