[CQ-Contest] World Contest Station Database - programming helop needed

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] World Contest Station Database - programming helop needed
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 16:47:10 -0500
Now that the WCSD is back alive again, I'm looking to make some
improvements.  One, in particular, is the form that captures information
submitted by a user and forwards it to a text file.  Periodically I use the
text file to update the database.

As the form now stands, it is just a bunch of spaces to be filled
in.  When submitted, it sends the information to a text file, which I
download and use to update the database offline.

I am no programmer, so I used Microsoft Front Page, a Microsoft Access
database, and Active Server Pages to set up the various queries and to
return data to the user.  Ideally, when someone already has a record in the
database, the form
should be filled in with the existing information, so that it need only be
edited and then saved to the file.  I'm sure this is probably trivial for
someone who understands how forms interact with an Access database, but
that's where I run out of ideas.  I'd also like to test the idea of
providing for direct updating of the database, because that would save a
lot of time.  Again, I have no idea how to do it.

A number of people have suggested that translating the database and the
queries to work under PHP and MySQL.  Fine, except that I don't know how to
do that, and it doesn't seem very time-effective to learn,m with everything
else I have going on.

Anyone willing to help?  I'll be happy to send you the existing pages to
work with, as well as the database.

73, Pete N4ZR
the World Contest Station Database is back...
www.conteststations.com