Re: [CQ-Contest] [CQ-contest] Vote now!!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [CQ-contest] Vote now!!
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:21:14 -0800
NG3K writes:

> But, suppose WP3R is working through a huge pileup that takes up 5 kHz on
> either side of his run frequency.  Should I observe this protocol anyway?
> In this case, the likelihood that I'm actually responding to someone else
> is pretty low.

I guess I am not sure I understand the scenario.  If I am WP3R and have a
pileup of guys calling me - there is still a chance the pileup might spill
over onto a frequency that someone that I can't hear is running guys (like
maybe a KP2).  Having the people calling me sending "WP3R" at the start
of their exchange would be very useful to make sure I haven't wandered off
into someone else's frequency.

I guess I really don't see a situation where it doesn't add value.  The
only situation might be if I am the ONLY signal on the band - like could
happen to WP3R on 10 meters or something.

Tree N6TR

PS: One trick if a guy calls you - but you aren't 100 percent sure he came
back to you - is to ask him for a fill.  I did this at least once during
the SS CW and the guy wasn't working me.  It is a quick way to clear up
the confusion.