Re: [CQ-Contest] Non Malicious Interference

To: "'K5RC'" <tom@k5rc.cc>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non Malicious Interference
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:20:52 -0700
You are absolutely correct Tom -- there is no way I would knowingly call on
top of any station. My recording of the SS last weekend has many, many
segments where I asked three times if anyone was using the frequency
[carefully listening each time] before I started calling CQ. Whenever anyone
said "Yes" or anything else that suggested it was a busy frequency I moved
on.

I figure that most of the guys I grew up with [the check class of 51 through
59, and probably later ] do the same thing. Life is too short for us to be
deliberately mean to one another during a contest. Aggressive competition
doesn't mean 'win at all costs' as far as I am concerned.

As far as the splatter -- when I checked the RF envelope with a scope there
was no indication of over modulation. I heard the distorted recording of my
signal and decided I should change bands so that the malicious interference
would stop.

Again, I am sorry for the problems my encounter with KZ8O caused for other
guys. Had I known about him before hand I would have quickly QSY'ed when he
first said something to me.

Tod, K0TO