Re: [CQ-Contest] The dupes?

To: "'CQ-Contest'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The dupes?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:05:32 -0500
Sorry.  I don't think that this is wise.

It brings to mind a small incident many, many moons ago, under my previous
call.

I had just started in a state QSO party.  My fourth or fifth contact
informed me I was a dupe.

"Impossible!"  I told him.  "I've only worked a few people, and you're not
one of them!"  But the op insisted, vehemently, so I skipped him and moved
on.

About 15 minutes later, shortly after I'd found a spot to call CQ Contest,
he popped up, with an apology.  Seems his software package at the time (what
I don't know, he didn't say & I didn't ask) wasn't programmed properly for a
WN3 2x3 call, or some other prefixes, so it was reporting them as "dupes!"

I have to admit I first told him "gee, I don't know, you insisted before
that I was wrong and that we'd worked before!"  I couldn't resist.  Then I
worked him.

Moral of the story:  Work dupes now, because you never know...

73